February 23, 2009

Dashing Good Fun


Well I've finally gotten around to reading Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding. I adore the movie and had always wanted to read the book. It fits into my 999 Challenge under "Chick Lit." Once you get used to Fielding's style of writing (lots of fragments and segmented thoughts), the book really begins to read quickly. The greatest part for me is that I can hear Renee Zellweger's voice saying each line. She really did an amazing job portraying Bridget. And of course, there's always the funny coincidence that Marc Darcy is compared to Mr. Darcy, both of which are played by Colin Firth. As the title suggests: it's dashing good fun.

Anyways, the story is about Bridget Jones and her never-ending quest towards achieving self-improvement. She vows not to smoke, though the next day she inhales 36 cigarettes. She promises to lose weight, but eats an entire cake that evening. She absolutely will not get involved with another man who she knows will treat her badly, yet the first man she falls in love with is her emotionally unavailable boss. In short, she's just like the rest of us. But funnier. It's light and will hold you interest. Although, I will warn you, if you did not like the movie, you will not like the book.

I am currently reading my second Georgette Heyer novel, The Grand Sophy. I barely put it down to write this post. It's really wonderful. If you've never read any Heyer before, I would highly recommend beginning with this book. Review will be up as soon as I finish!

1 comment:

Passages to the Past said...

I am crazy about Heyer!! I haven't read Grand Sophy, but it's going on my wishlist now! I just got Black Sheep recently because of another good review - have you read that one? Have you read any of her historicals?