March 2, 2009

Sawyer, and Sayid, and Jack... OH MY!


LOST is probably one of my favorite television shows ever. My best friend turned me on to the show about two seasons ago, and I am hooked. Every Wednesday night I am glued to the television to see what horrible thing Ben is going to do, and how many times Sawyer (see picture to the right) will come up with witty insults to snap at other people. And like everyone else, I wait in suspense for the end of every episode to get some answers. Instead, I am left with 45 new questions, and I love every minute of it.

But since this is a blog about books, and not television, I found a little reading list that I thought was very interesting. Throughout the show, there are references to many different literary works. Most of them come through Sawyer, the bad boy who stole my heart. While I was searching for book lists online, I stumbled across a list of books that are referenced in LOST. Some I've read, and others I've added to my TBR list! I thought it would be fun for all of you to take a look at!

1. Richard Adams - Watership Down
2. Madeline L'Engle - A Wrinkle In Time
3. William Golding - Lord Of The Flies
4. Daniel Defoe - Robinson Crusoe
5. Stephen King - The Stand
6. Stephen King - The Langoliers
7. Douglas Adams - The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy
8. Michael Crichton - Jurassic Park
9. Lewis Carroll - Alice In Wonderland and Through The Looking Glass
10. Antony Trew - Smoke Island
11. William Shakespeare - The Tempest
12. H.G. Wells - The Island Of Dr. Moreau
13. Jules Verne - The Mysterious Island
14. Joseph Conrad - Heart Of Darkness
15. J.K. Rowling - Harry Potter & the Sorcerer's Stone

So there you have it! Some of these books are tied directly into the show, and others have similar plot lines. But they all sound worth reading!

2 comments:

biblioholic29 said...

I've been a huge fan of Lost since the beginning, and have picked up many a book because it was referenced in the series. Are you aware that there is a "tie-in" novel called Bad Twin available which is supposed to be authored by one of the deceased passengers. Both Sawyer and Hurley can be seen reading the manuscript and Jack tosses it into the fire at one point. It's not a great book, but it's a blast for fans of the show, as it references things like the Hanso Foundation. You might want to look for it!

Anonymous said...

LOL This is great. I'll have to send my sister over for a visit. She likes Lost, too. I haven't watched it...yet. LOL

That's a great list of books.

PS I love a good bad boy, too. :D