May 19, 2009

Nicholas Sparks - The Choice


Okay, okay, I am the first to admit that I've been reading way too much "Chick Lit"-ish stuff lately. However, in my defense, I don't usually read that much chick lit, and I made it a point to make "Chick Lit," "Nicholas Sparks Books," and "Jodi Picoult Books" categories in my 999 Challenge. So, that's my defense. Now, to the book review!

"Travis Parker has everything a man could want: a good job, loyal friends, even a waterfront home in small-town North Carolina. In full pursuit of the good life -- boating, swimming, and regular barbecues with his good-natured buddies -- he holds the vague conviction that a serious relationship with a woman would only cramp his style. That is, until Gabby Holland moves in next door. Despite his attempts to be neighborly, the appealing redhead seems to have a chip on her shoulder about him...and the presence of her longtime boyfriend doesn't help. Despite himself, Travis can't stop trying to ingratiate himself with his new neighbor, and his persistent efforts lead them both to the doorstep of a journey that neither could have foreseen. Spanning the eventful years of young love, marriage and family, The Choice ultimately confronts us with the most heartwrenching question of all: how far would you go to keep the hope of love alive?"

This book started off kind of slow for me. Though I guess after reading the sexy, racy, fast-paced Sookie Stackhouse novels, anything would seem a bit slow. But once I got into it, I couldn't put it down. And by I couldn't put it down, I mean that I read this book in less than 24 hours. I know that is something that is very easy to do while reading a Nicholas Sparks book. I really enjoyed reading this. Travis is incredibly lovable, and so are the rest of the characters. My recommendation on where to read this book? Well, it's a great book for the weekend when the man in your life is away for work/family/whatever. Or it's the perfect book for a plane on the way to some tropical vacation. I mean, it's Nicholas Sparks! It's like chocolate, it's good anytime!

Next up? Jodi Picoult's "The Pact." Suicide pacts vs. Murder... I'm only 20 pages in and I love it already!

No comments: