March 7, 2010

Another Hit By Heyer


Georgette Heyer - Sylvester

It's been a while since I have read a Heyer novel. My local library does not carry too many of her books. Recently, however, a patron with impecable literary taste donated some of her books to the library's collection. Among those books was a new Heyer novel: Sylvester. Needless to say, I grabbed it immediately and devoured it as quickly as I could.

"Sylvester, Duke of Salford, seeks with unconscious arrogance a bride worthy of the honour of becoming his Duchess. He journeys to Wiltshire to inspect the Hon Phoebe Marlow, unaware that he has met her before and instantly forgotten the tongue-tied girl without beauty or elegance to recommend her."

This incredibly brief synopsis of the novel does it absolutely no justice whatsoever. Heyer's Sylvester is so like Fitzwilliam Darcy, as her Phoebe brings to mind Elizabeth Bennet. The entire time I was reading this novel, I found that I kept making comparisons to Pride & Prejudice. You can tell that Heyer was inspired by Austen's novel when she wrote this novel back in 1957. Sylvester, though heavy with Austen-ish characteristics, is a wonderful novel. I found myself rooting for Phoebe and Sylvester. As the reader, I wanted them to realize they were in love and to just get over their pride.

Let me put it this way, if you liked Pride & Prejudice, I highly recommend that you read this book.

What's up next for Miss Holly? Well, it has been an extremely long time since I've read any Jean Plaidy, so I've two of her novels up next to read. Up first is Murder Most Royal, which novelizes Henry VIII's marriages to Anne Boleyn and Katherine Howard. Happy reading!

No comments: