April 29, 2010

Patterson's Soft Side


Who know that James Patterson, one of the most popular modern mystery writers harbored the ability to compose a romantic novel that inspires tears? I sure didn't and was pleasantly surprised when I read my very first James Patterson novel: Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas.

Katie works in New York City and has fallen deeply in love with Matt. The two of them have more fun together than she could have ever imagined. Just when things are reaching levels of happiness beyond comprehension, Matt drops a bombshell on Katie. He's married. With no other explanation, he leaves Katie. Katie is, of course, distraught and completely heartbroken. She vows to get over Matt. But then a package arrives for her with his handwriting on the outside. Inside is a diary with a note attached to it. Matt tells Katie that if she really wanted to understand about why Matt never told her about his marriage, she needed to read the diary: his wife Suzanne's diary for his son Nicholas. The diary details the couple's meeting, dating, marriage, and child birth, with a few extra little twists thrown in.

I liked this book and could not put it down. It reads much like a Nicholas Sparks novel. Almost the entire book was read before I had to ask myself, "Okay, I still am not figuring out where this is going." Patterson uses his master mystery mind to hold reader's in suspense until the very last ten pages.

I won't lie and say that this was a fantastic book. I was engaged with it and had to keep reading to find out what happens next, but it isn't literary genius by any means. It's a fun, fast, effortless read. And let's face it, sometimes that's all us avid readers need. I recommend this book to Nicholas Sparks and James Patterson fans! It's worth the read.


No comments: