January 26, 2009

I Wanna Do Bad Things With You


I'm a huge fan of HBO's vampire series, True Blood. The television series is based on the novels written by Charlaine Harris. The series is called The Southern Vampire Mysteries, or is also referred to as The Sookie Stackhouse novels. Sookie Stackhouse is the main character, a waitress from the small town of Bon Temps, Louisiana. Sookie is just an ordinary southern girl, who happens to be able to read minds. She always has longed to meet a vampire since they became legal citizens and began mainstreaming into society (don't worry, Japan created a synthetic blood to prevent vampires from feeding on human beings). She meets Bill, and the two fall in love. But falling in love with a vampire sure does create a lot of relationship problems. The first novel in Harris's series, Dead Until Dark, focuses on that relationship and all of the heartache and trouble that comes along with loving a vampire.


Vampires have made a super sexy comeback. First, Twilight emerged into the teenage market. Then HBO picked up Harris's novels and transformed them into a television series. Both have a sexy, brooding lead male vampire with plenty of other vampire eye candy (Emmett Cullen of Twilight or Eric of True Blood). Anna Paquin as Sookie Stackhouse is absolutely perfect also. I think that the television show is almost a little bit better than the books, which is shocking to me. The secondary characters in the show are so much more developed. And Bill is much more swoon-worthy on the show. However, immediately after reading the first book, I ran to my library and snagged the second one and have begun pouring over it.

These are fast reads and are really great to take on a weekend trip. Or if you're looking for something light and are into vampires, I would definitely recommend the Sookie Stackhouse books.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this show too. I am glad to hear that the books are entertaining also. I will definitely be reading them now. Thanks for the info, Holly!

Anonymous said...

I only recently discovered these books too! Apparently I was way behind the curve since Harris already wrote 8 books in the series and I only just caught on. I couldn't wait for the next season of Trueblood to start so I had to read all the books to find out What Happens Next! I haven't read anything else by Harris just yet though.